I would not normally work on a pine that had only been potted the year before however this pine was responding well PLUS I used a strong strap to hole the tree firm whilst I worked.
The major branches were first wrapped in Raffia then Self Amalgamating Rubber Tape. Minor branches only had Raffia and thin branches no protection. ONLY copper wire was used.
I tend to style from the bottom up, working each branch and positioning before I wire the next. I always have the image in my head that I wish to achieve, this process saves wiring unnecessary branches.
I decided to work the deadwood after styling as I wanted the canopy to determine the size of the deadwood. On this occasion no long jins or stylised carving, only hand tools were used.